Captain Mainline

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Five Questions

I find political debates by candidates to be frustrating in that they do whatever it takes to stay on message. Regardless of the question the answer seems to be “I am a smart patriot with way better plans than my deranged opponent”. Well, they would be fools to say anything else- but the debates have become little more than a chance for voters to observe the candidates under pressure.

I would like to see each campaign presented with a list of questions to answer, say 5 questions. Potential questions could be submitted to a web service and voted on to get the top 5. The questions can be fully loaded, politically and whatever people want. The candidates would have plenty of time to craft whatever responses they desire, using their advisors and any tools they need.

If the answers fail to address the question it will not be due to time or “message” constraints, and the lack of convenient excuses should yield results that are worth analyzing.

Maybe the League of Women Voters could be hired to supervise the creation of the questions, perhaps inviting opposing bloggers and journalists to formulate the list of questions.

3 Comments:

  • Hello Captain,

    Thoght I would return the visit.I think you and I could have some interesting debates on policy and culture. I've bookmarked you and will be back.

    By Blogger MK, at January 19, 2005 at 11:28 PM  

  • I could care less about what Babs (or anyone else in Hollywood) has to say. I am not liberal because Hollywood pressure. My reference came strictly from debate with average conservatives who feel they now own the country. Maybe if they stopped listening to Hollywood and listened to the average democrat they would get a true representation of us.

    By Blogger Angel, at January 20, 2005 at 8:09 AM  

  • Dissadent-

    I revisited your blog and left comments. I like your style & hope we can continue to exchange views.

    By Blogger Captain Mainline, at January 21, 2005 at 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home