Captain Mainline

Saturday, January 15, 2005

In a knife fight?

Regarding the flock of scandals where Armstrong Williams, Markos Zuniga of Daily Kos and Jerome Armstrong of MyDD each took money from political agents, I cannot help but think that this is typical for how money and influence interact.

The powerful rarely bribe politicians to purchase support; they instead fund politicians who already agree with their agenda. Is this a whiter shade of pale?

If a given voice poses as a non-partisan who is objectively picking amongst issues and positions then and purchased influence would be more significant that these cases where people with a clear track record are paid to carry on as expected. Yes, I am thinking of CBS and Dan Rather again. They claim they have no bias, and their big report failed to consider evidence the networked coordinated activities with the Kerry campaign- and perhaps breaking the law. To me this deserves a larger focus.

Now, I agree the details of the financing should, in a perfect world, be transparent- and for politicians there is a legal obligation. But for citizens, I am not sure there is the same requirement.

Perhaps one day there will be an accreditation process and an oath for voices that want to be respected, from CBS to Kos to myself. Until then I am reminded of Ted Cassidy in a famous western: “Rules?!? In a knife fight??!?!!!”

I agree it all sounds shady, but in part because there were no actual surprises so far- I wonder if this is merely a tempest in a teapot. I mean, we are talking about free speech from private citizens.

What should we expect from our pundits?


5 Comments:

  • The problem is "bloggers" is a very generic term. Although some bloggers such as Kos may take on a political tone, the fact they are blogging instead of running a web based content service makes things a little murkier. Before long we'll have a bunch of Drudges. For those pundits the only thing they'll have to sell is their reputation. If they chance ruining it by accepting some money for a purely partisan effort, that's their risk. What I have noticed is very few blogging pundits have taken a neutral view of things. If anything, most are more polarized than your typical newscast. I don't see Left2Right accepting money from James Dobson for example. I'm rambling now, but in essence, what you see from the pundits is what you get. If they make money doing it, and stick to their core beliefs in the process, I really don't have a problem with it. Money and politics will always mix ( except in my case ). To assume blogging pundits are of any higher moral ethical standard than Dan Rather is just setting yourself up for disappointment. There are no legal, ethical, or moral standards to run a blog. I'm fine by that. I know some people will take advantage of that. I just hope I'm smart enough to smell it when it happens.

    By Blogger Moon, at February 3, 2005 at 1:06 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Roberto Iza Valdes, at November 12, 2005 at 2:09 PM  

  • Hi Captain Mainline, very interesting post.

    I'm not too familiar with blogs, but I found your post " In a knife fight? " a good read. I was actually looking for information on ebook delivery and found your post. Any recommendations for the best infromation about ebook delivery?

    Nice one.

    By Blogger Joe Langer, at January 19, 2006 at 2:10 AM  

  • Hi Captain Mainline, very interesting post.

    I'm not too familiar with blogs, but I found your post " In a knife fight? " a good read. I was actually looking for information on expiring download link and found your post. Any recommendations for the best infromation about expiring download link?

    Nice one.

    By Blogger Ebook Manic, at January 21, 2006 at 9:31 AM  

  • Captain Mainline,
    Great post. I found your post a good read. You may be interested in automated ebooks.

    Any recommendations for the best infromation about automated ebooks? Nice one.

    By Blogger Ebook Manic, at January 26, 2006 at 1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home